Men’s Soccer Rolls Past Emerson

Men’s Soccer Rolls Past Emerson

NEW LONDON, Conn.-Senior goalkeeper Richie Burns made a pair of saves in recording his fifth shutout, while three different players scored and the Coast Guard men's soccer team cruised to a 3-0 conference victory over Emerson. After a non-conference match-up on Tuesday, Coast Guard (6-4-2) resumed New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference play Saturday with a resounding victory over Emerson (6-7-0, 0-4-0 NEWMAC) to move over .500 in conference play at 2-1-1.

Junior Conor Regan got the Bears going in the 23rd minute when he took senior Matt Epperly's pass from the wing and blasted a half-volley by Emerson sophomore Carter Bowers to stake Coast Guard to an early 1-0 lead. The goal was the first of the season for Regan, in his first start, while the assist was Epperly's fourth on the year.

Inside of ten minutes to play in the first half, sophomore Richard Davies provided some insurance for Coast guard with his first tally of the season. After settling the ball he beat Bowers to the left before controlling and spinning back to his right past a defender and buried the ball into the net for a 2-0 advantage in the 37th minute.

If there was any doubt remaining in a game in which Coast Guard out-shot Emerson by a 13-8 margin, junior John Tarzian erased it in the 63rd minute. After earning a corner kick, sophomore Alexander Lane delivered a perfect ball into the box and Tarzian delivered a rocket of a one-time strike to put the Bears up 3-0 and effectively end the match.

Bowers made three saves in the loss for Emerson, but the Lions were unable to muster much offensively, settling for just a pair of shots on goal by freshman Patrick Kudej. Coast Guard held a 4-3 advantage in corner kicks for the match.

Coast Guard will return to action on Tuesday, October 15th when they travel to Nichols for a non-conference match-up before returning to NEWMAC play on Saturday, October 19th when they host WPI at 11:00 am.

Head Coach Chris Parsons: