Bears Fall at NYU
FLUSHING, N.Y.--(4/24/12)--The US Coast Guard Academy men's tennis team travelled to NY to play a young and talented New York University. The Violets, ranked #15 in the northeast, won the contest 6-3.
NYU dominated the #3 doubles winning 8-0, but senior co-captains Nick Martin and Greg Mitchell made a close contest at #1 losing to junior co-captain Connor Witty and sophomore Steven Wu 8-6. Junior Blake Maurer and sophomore Josh Fischer won an even closer contest at #2 doubles 9-7 over freshmen pair Ting Yee Lai and William Smithline.
The Bears picked up their other two points at #3 singles and #4 singles. Martin won 5-7, 6-3, 10-4 over another freshman, C.J. Leong. Maurer beat sophomore James Dean 6-4, 6-1.
The 10-6 Bears (3-1 in the NEWMAC) play again Wednesday, hosting Clark in the final regular season NEWMAC match. The outcome determines #2 and #3 seeding for this weekend's post season conference tournament to be held at MIT.
1. Connor Witty (NYU) def. Greg Mitchell (CGA) 6-4, 6-4
2. Steven Wu (NYU) def. Josh Fischer (CGA) 6-3, 6-1
3. Nick Martin (CGA) def. C.J. Leong (NYU) 5-7, 6-3, 10-4
4. Blake Maurer (CGA) def. James Dean (NYU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Tim Wu (NYU) def. Matt Faha (CGA) 6-0, 6-1
6. Ting Yee Lai (NYU) def. Jon Lightner (CGA) 6-2, 7-5
1. Connor Witty/Steven Wu (NYU) def. Nick Martin/Greg Mitchell (CGA) 8-6
2. Josh Fischer/Blake Maurer (CGA) def. Ting Yee Lai/William Smithline (NYU) 9-7
3. Dan Kil/C.J. Leong (NYU) def. Matt Faha/Andrew Bryson (CGA) 8-0