Bears Win NEWMAC Opener
BABSON PARK, MASS.--(4/4/12)--Senior captain Nick Martin rallied from a set down to record the decisive point at number four singles to help Coast Guard Academy claim a 5-4 victory over host Babson in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) match, the conference opener for both team.
The Bears improved to 6-2 overall and 1-0 in NEWMAC play, while Babson suffers its third straight loss to fall to 4-8 overall and 1-1 against conference competition.
Coast Guard senior Greg Mitchell earned a hard-fought 6-4, 7-6 (5) win at number one singles and sophomore Josh Fischer added a 7-6 (3), 6-4 victory at two to even things up at 4-4 overall.
In the decisive match at fourth singles, Babson freshman Roy Murdock took the first set in a tie-breaker, 7-6 (4). However, Martin responded with a 6-0 win in set two and then completed the comeback by taking the final set, 6-2, to give Coast Guard the overall match.
Mitchell and Martin won 8-4 at number one doubles while Blake Maurer and Fischer won at #2 doubles as Coast Guard won two of the three doubles matches.
1. Greg Mitchell (CGA) def. Ramone Doyley (BAB) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Josh Fischer (CGA) def. Nissim Cohen-Sabban (BAB) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
3. Mitchell Henry (BAB) def. Blake Maurer (CGA) 6-3, 6-4
4. Nick Martin (CGA) def. Roy Murdock (BAB) 6-7 (4-7), 6-0, 6-2
5. Ferran Arimon (BAB) def. Jon Lightner (CGA) 7-5, 6-3
6. Danny Schneider (BAB) def. J.Sullivan-Springhet (CGA) 6-0, 6-0
1. Greg Mitchell/Nick Martin (CGA) def. Ramone Doyley/Mitchell Henry (BAB) 8-4
2. Blake Maurer/Josh Fischer (CGA) def. Zach Ringer/Roy Murdock (BAB) 8-2
3. Nissim Cohen-Sabban/Danny Schneider (BAB) def. Jon Lightner/Andrew Bryson (CGA) 8-1