Bears Fall to Wheaton 5-4
NEW LONDON, Conn. – Freshmen Mark Guentert and Weston Fortna won their singles matches and teamed up to win at doubles, but the Bears fell to Wheaton 5-4 in a in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) match.
Guentert and Fortna won 9-8 (7-2) at #2 doubles while Blake Maurer and Robert Renfrow won 8-5 at #1 doubles as the Bears led 2-1 heading to singles play.
Wheaton would win four of the six singles matches for the come-from-behind win.
Guentert won 6-2, 6-2 at #3 singles while Fortna registered a 6-4, 6-1 win at #4 singles for the Bears.
Wheaton improves to 9-5 overall and 2-3 in the conference while Coast Guard drops to 4-11 overall and 1-4 in the NEWMAC.
The Bears are back in action on Tuesday at the National Tennis Center in New York against NYU.
Wheaton 5, Coast Guard 4
1. Jonah Feit (WHE) def. Blake Maurer (CGA) 7-6, 6-1
2. Will White (WHE) def. Robert Renfrow (CGA) 2-6, 7-6, 7-5
3. Mark Guentert (CGA) def. Dan Sharon (WHE) 6-2, 6-2
4. Weston Fortna (CGA) def. David Gassen (WHE) 6-4, 6-1
5. Sam Jackson (WHE) def. Andrew Bryson (CGA) 7-5, 6-1
6. Dennis Scarpa (WHE) def. Jon Lightner (CGA) 6-4, 6-3
1. Blake Maurer/Robert Renfrow (CGA) def. Jonah Feit/Will White (WHE) 8-5
2. Mark Guentert/Weston Fortna (CGA) def. Dan Sharon/Ned Terrace (WHE) 9-8 (7-2)
3. David Gassen/Dennis Scarpa (WHE) def. Andrew Bryson/Jon Lightner 9-7