WORCESTER, Mass.--Holy Cross senior captain Chris Brosnan won both his singles and doubles matches to help lead the Crusaders to a 5-2 victory over Coast Guard in non-conference men's tennis action this afternoon at the Sinnott Family Tennis Facility. With the win, Division I Holy Cross evens its record at 1-1, while the Bears fall to 0-1 to begin the 2013-2014 season.
Brosnan won his No. 3 singles match over sophomore Weston Fortna, 6-3, 6-4, and paired up with sophomore Rich DeGregoris to claim the No. 2 doubles match over Renfrow and junior Jon Lightner, 8-5. DeGregoris also won his No. 5 singles match over freshman Bruce Kim in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0.
Holy Cross freshman Pat O'Shea won his No. 4 singles match over Lightner, 6-2, 6-1, and teamed with sophomore Charles Volkwein to win the No. 3 doubles match, 8-2. Crusaders senior Brandon Ynayan won his No. 6 singles match, 7-5, 4-6, (10-7).
The Bears are back in action on Saturday when they play the second and final weekend of the Connecticut College/Coast Guard tournament.
HOLY CROSS 5, COAST GUARD 2
1. Mark Guentert(CG) def. Ryan Sullivan (HC), 6-4, 6-2
2. Robert Renfrow (CG) def. Jimmy Ye (HC), 6-0, 6-3
3. Chris Brosnan (HC) def. Weston Fortna (CG), 6-3, 6-4
4. Pat O'Shea (HC) def. Jon Lightner (CG), 6-2, 6-1
5. Rich DeGregoris (HC) def. Bruce Kim (CG), 6-2, 6-0
6. Brandon Ynayan (HC) def. Townsend Hirst (CG), 7-5, 4-6, (10-7)
1. Ryan Sullivan / Jimmy Ye (HC) def. Mark Guentern / Weston Fortna (CG), 9-7
2. Chris Brosnan / Rich DeGregoris (HC) def. Robert Renfrow / Jon Lightner (CG), 8-5
3. Pat O'Shea / Charles Volkwein (HC) def. Bruce Kim / Townsend Hirst (CG), 8-2