NEW LONDON, Conn.-The Coast Guard tennis team won three singles matches but it wasn't enough as the Bears fell to visiting Wheaton College Saturday afternoon in both team's New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference Opener by a score of 6-3.
The Bears received victories at numbers one, two, and three singles from sophomores Robert Renfrow (7-6 (4-0), 6-0), Mark Guentert (6-3, 6-4), and Weston Fortna (6-1, 6-3) to start strong on the afternoon. Wheaton would sweep four, five, and six singles to tie things headed into the doubles portion of the afternoon.
Guentert and Fortna (7-9) at number one doubles and Renfrow and freshman Bruce Kim (5-8) at number two doubles both posted strong efforts but they weren't quite enough as Wheaton hung on for the victory.
With the defeat, Coast Guard is now 2-6 (0-1 NEWMAC) on the season while Wheaton improves to 6-2 (1-0) with the victory.
Coast Guard returns to action on Wednesday, April 2nd when they host Springfield for a NEWMAC match at 3:30 pm.
- 1. Robert Renfrow (CGA) def. Jonah Feit (Wheaton) 7-6 (4-0), 6-0
- 2. Mark Guentert (CGA) def. Dan Sharon (Wheaton) 6-3, 6-4
- 3. Weston Fortna (CGA) def. Will White (Wheaton) 6-1, 6-3
- 4. David Gassen (Wheaton) def. Jon Lightner (CGA) 6-4, 6-2
- 5. Shrever Archer (Wheaton) def. Bruce Kim (CGA) 6-0, 6-1
- 6. Sam Jackson (Wheaton) def. David Leemon (CGA) 6-0, 6-1
- 1. Feit/Sharon (Wheaton) def. Guentert/Fortna (CGA) 9-7
- 2. White/Ned Terrace (Wheaton) def. Renfrow/Kim (CGA) 8-5
- 3. Lawrence Chan/Gassen (Wheaton) def. Lightner/Townsend Hirst (CGA) 8-0