Bears Drop NEWMAC Opener at Wheaton

Bears Drop NEWMAC Opener at Wheaton

NORTON, Mass.—Freshman Quinton Dale had 18 points to go with his game-high 14 rebounds leading  Wheaton to a 65-53 win over Coast Guard in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) opener for both teams.

Freshman Agyei Gregory also had 18 points in the win as Wheaton improved to 5-4 overall and 1-0 in conference play while Coast Guard dropped its fifth straight to dip to 2-9 overall and 0-1 in the NEWMAC.

Senior Devonte Weems and classmate John Benedict each had 12 points to lead Coast Guard while Weems had a game-high four assists and Benedict had a team-high seven rebounds.

Freshman Quinton Dale capped an 11-0 run which started in the first half by making the first two hoops of the second half as Wheaton took its largest lead of the game to that point 39-29 with 18:15 left.

Wheaton led 45-33 with 15:35 left before the Bears used a 10-2 spurt to close the margin to 47-43 with 13:13 left following back-to-back buckets by senior Devonte Weems.

Coast Guard sophomore Avierre Conner's bucket with 11:09 left had made the score 49-45, but the Bears would make just one more field goal in the game, a 3-pointer by freshman Adrian Chuquillangui with 18 seconds left.

The Lyons put the game away using  a 9-1 run capped on back-to-back 3-pointers by freshman Agyei Gregory and junior Jaycob Morales turning  that 49-45 lead into a 57-46 lead with 9:03 left in the game.

Coast Guard shot 31.4 percent from the floor (16-51) while making just 4 of 22 from 3-point range.

Wheaton was 26 of 55 from the field (47.3 percent) while hitting 3 of 10 from behind the arc. The Lyons outrebounded the Bears 38-30.

Dale scored three straight buckets to cap a 10-2 run as the Lyons jumped out to a 14-5 lead with 12:39 left in the first half.

Coast Guard scored eight straight later to pull to within 21-20 following a pair of free throws by senior Devonte Weems with 6:42 left in the half.

Wheaton led 28-24 before a bucket by senior John Benedict and a 3-pointer by sophomore Ricky Rodriguez gave Coast Guard its first lead of the game 29-28 with 2:22 left in the half.

The Lyons would score the final seven points of the half including a 3-pointer by senior Will Bayliss at the buzzer for a 35-29 halftime lead.

Wheaton shot 58.3 percent from the floor in the first half (14-25) while the Bears were just 9 of 28 (32.1 percent) from the field and 3 of 13 from behind the arc in the opening stanza.

"It was a tough stretch for us in the last 11 minutes. We did a good job to get it to a four point game, but we couldn't buy a field goal, said Coast Guard head coach Kevin Jaskiewicz. "The seniors played really hard, they understood the intensity level to play in a conference game and some of our younger guys had to learn about playing in the conference especially on the road."

Coast Guard is back in action on Saturday when the Bears travel to Emerson for a 1 p.m. tip.